Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A Rant About a Personal Passion.

Right. First things first. I have a hard-on for education. If I'm not learning something, I don't feel like I'm making adequate use of my time (as can be noted by the fact that I'm full of random and useless information.)

Anyway, so I was listening to the news today (shocker, I know) and I heard about how dearest Dalton (our current premier) breezed through Windsor and dodged questions like the nerdy kid in gym class dodges basketballs. And out of nowhere I hear him mention something about increasing funding for the public school system. At which point I scoffed and regarded my TV with disgust and lack of positive enthusiasm.

See, what I've been noticing (I'm still picking around to see if it's true or not) is that the non-public (read;religious) school systems seem to be faring better than the public school system. I see Catholic schools with ridiculously pristine, well-maintained facilities, beautiful theatrical equipment, etc. etc. et al. Also, we have mosque schools now. I'm sorry, and no offense, but that really pisses me off.

In a country that prides itself on being a diverse and (primarily) secular society, I find it insulting and, to put it bluntly, a vicious rape of the Charter to have an education system backed by religious influence. Yes, you have freedom of religion. Yes, you have freedom of education. However, this (upon just reading the charter) applies to individuals. Which is all well and good. You can believe what you want. But in my humble opinion, get religion out of the education system. It doesn't belong there.

I'm not saying that religion(s) shouldn't be learned about. That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is make religious influence a nonexistent factor of the Canadian education system (For at least primary and secondary.)

Education is about learning, and in many cases (somewhat sadly), a gateway to a career and a potentially good job and subsequently a potentially good life. It should not be a place where religion is the basis and underlying influence behind the entire progression from JK to 12.

And I'm not just saying this about the Mosque school specifically. I want any independent or religious-based school systems to be obliterated, and the student populace of Canada united under one universal body of education, for the sake of just that; Education.

Believe what you want. But don't inject the influence of a religion in a supposedly secular organisation. Rant over.

Peace, Love and MarioKart.
~Poindextra.

4 comments:

Ye Olde Draven said...

I'll say it again. What, no Zelda?

And I've gotta agree with you on this one, too. There's no sense in an education system where what is taught is religious influence, AKA the science of not asking questions. We learn by questioning our existence.

Good'un, this. ^^

Poindextra said...

MarioKart's just got a better ring to it.

Anyway. It's not about questioning anything, in my opinion. It's about taking Dogma out of the transferrence of facts from one person to another.

It's fine to express your beliefs, don't get me wrong. But if you're masking them behind what you're trying to teach, I view it as a form of mind-control. I equivocate it to the religious zealots telling everyone who disagrees that they're "going somewhere horrible for not believing," but in a more subtle manner. I know it's not the same thing, but the connection's there.

Ye Olde Draven said...

Well, I dunno. I'd say that the connection is there. Perhaps not as obvious as that, but it's fairly obvious that you need to succeed in the educational system to succeed in life, and if the system is tainted by dogmatic influence, then those who do not fall in line will be left behind, to the dismay of intelligent folk like you and me.

And what your premier and our President have in common is that their solutions are not solutions at all, but merely attempts to cover that problem.

Poindextra said...

I know nothing else about Dearest Dalton's standings on any other subject.

One thing I do have to say to you, McGuinty, is that if you're not just pulling that out of your ass, I'll believe it when I see it.