Saturday, January 16, 2010

Returning to Productivity

I deleted my facebook account last night.

I decided that the site does me more harm than good, because I find myself spying on people that I haven't spoken to in years, just so I can find out what's been going on in their life.

That's just creepy. So I'm stopping myself.

Not only that, I realised that the damn site just causes more drama than I can handle in my life right now, so I'm quitting while I'm ahead so that I don't end up making my life worse.

Getting rid of my facebook account was the first step I decided to make in trying to make my life better, and sort of ease the pressure of social networking from me while I recover from things I need to recover from. That way, I can just quiet down, talk to the people who help me the most, and stop worrying about other people's feelings about me.

That, and if I want to get a job they can't invade that privacy, because it no longer exists.

Furthermore, I couldn't help but laugh hysterically at how desperately Facebook clings to people. When I went to deactivate my account, the website shot straight for my guilt complex and asked "Are you sure you want to leave? All your friends will miss you." And proceeded to list 4 or 5 people's names followed by "will miss you."

Then, there's a list of reasons why you're leaving facebook that you can choose from.

Each and every single one has a pitiful response in order to attempt to keep you here.

Fucking.hilarious.

Suffice it to say, I want to keep quiet and lay low for a while, and getting rid of 155 people's ability to spy on me is probably one of the best steps to take first.

Power to anyone else who gives up that ghost with me.

Peace, Love, and MarioKart

~Dexie