Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Ethics of Academia

Being a full-time university student is ridiculously stressful. And that's on its own. Then there's the added familial pressure that some of us feel when we're expected to find a job so we can pay our own way through a system that costs more (in the immediate sense) than a whole year's worth of bills.

I tried working when I went back to school this September. I had about 14 hours a week at the gas station near my house. On top of that, I was also in a community theatre production. The theatre production had been made a commitment before the job. On top of that, because I'm studying theatre in school, it just makes more sense that I'd prioritise something coinciding with my education over a job that has little to no security, promotion ladder, or pay raise.

I do not regret at all telling my family that while I was in school, I could not, and would not, work. To the outsider, or infamous "other", studying drama in university is just a fluff and puff program for easy A's and a pretty certificate after four years.

Totally not true.

I just started the Drama and Communications program at my school. The classes, while they're easy for me, would definitely not be easy for anyone else in my family. It's a lot of physical work, mental work, and social interaction that depends on each of its parts to function completely. 5 classes is 15 hours a week of lecture. Add the daily readings, and assignments to do outside of class, you have an extra 30 or so hours to work on just your education alone.

That's a full-time job. Which will eventually get me another full-time job.

My professors have said that working more than 10 hours a week while in school at this rate is remarkable. And as far as I know, there are very very VERY few people who can do that.

I am one of the not-so-few. And I have to say, I'm really proud of myself.

Putting my education first is one of the first steps I've taken to ensuring that I can make the best of my learning, and pursue my graduate studies.

So to any other post-secondary students out there (college, university), if you're not working while you're in school, don't sweat it. If you stick through your education and get superstar grades, it means a hell of a lot more than a part-time job and all C's. Student loans are there for a reason.

~Dexie